Key points of the review:
- The estimated cost of the Inland Rail project has increased from A$16B in A$31B since 2020.
- The Inland Rail is still considered an important project for Australia to reduce both the number of trucks on the roads (which are steadily increasing) and carbon emissions.
- Despite this fact, major management and planning issues were identified in relation to the original project.
- The overall route remains largely unchanged, except for the changes to the start and end points in Melbourne and Brisbane.
- Significant additional reviews will be undertaken into many aspects of the project over the next few years.
End of 2023 Update